Facts About Alcoholism
- There are 18 million alcoholics in our nation. 29 million, or one out of every eight, are affected by parental alcoholism.
- In Delaware, 85,000 adults suffer from the effects of family alcoholism. Another 27,000 to 40,000 school-age children have at least one alcoholic parent.
- 55% of all family violence occurs in alcoholic homes.
- Incest is twice as likely among daughters of alcoholics
- Children of alcoholics are three to four times more likely to become alcoholic than the general public.
- 70% of children of alcoholics develop patterns of compulsive behavior(s) as adults, including alcoholism, drug abuse or overeating.
- For years, this condition was kept secret. One steadfast rule in the alcoholic family is never to talk about the problem.
- Now there is an organization that speaks out for children of alcoholics to obtain help for their problems.